Friday 8 November 2013

The Penistone Line Partnership Event Day

http://www.southpenninesrail.co.uk/

Yesterday was the event day at the Penistone Line Partnership and as a blogger I was invited to attend. It was to launch the leaflet "20 fun things to do on the Penistone Line". I arranged to meet my friend in Penistone and lunch was provided as part of the event. There were lots of stalls showing what activities could be done in various stations along the line.


We were very lucky with the weather, it was a beautiful autumn day. I chose to wear my apple green and red and white spotted sabe, (green side out). I set off straight after the school run to get the bus into town to the station. It was really well organised, when I arrived at the station we were checked in, given our tickets and goody bags and shown through to the train. On the train we were provided with musical entertainment by a six piece folk band who were excellent and Bubba 2 seemed to really enjoy the music too. Having kept me up most of the night as she had a cold I could only hope that I looked half as good as she did bouncing around?!



I have been on the Penistone line several times as my friend lives in Sheffield, but I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to the areas that you travel through. It is easy to forget just how rural Huddersfield can be once you leave the town centre. One of the most surprising sights that I saw were some llamas in a field! The autumn colours were stunning and in many fields there are sheep, cows, horses , all wonderful things for children to look out for on the journey.  It is only 30/35 minute train journey to Penistone and takes about an hour and a quarter to go from Huddersfield to Sheffield.

Of course my Sabe sling was really useful and very comfortable during both the journey and the event. I even managed to return home carrying a very large pumpkin - pumpkin soup, yummy! I had lots of really positive comments about the sling and people were genuinely interested and asking me questions and so I was able to distribute several leaflets! Bonus!

I saw one LittleLife backpack carrier and one ring sling ( my friend!). Apparently there is a sling group based in Penistone too.

Lunch was provided by the Art Cafe in Penistone and was wonderful, lots of choice and it tasted amazing. When I return to Penistone, I will definitely be lunching at the Art Cafe!

Market day is every Thursday in Penistone and it was full of lovely products at very reasonable prices. I bought some honey, chutney, a pumpkin, some cakes and was given a selection of veg good for stews. The veg and pumpkin was from the community farm in Penistone. From the information stalls I received a small teddy bear from the Elsecar Heritage Centre ( great for squish' memory box #making memories) and many leaflets detailing short walks, cycle trails, the Kirklees Light Railway and shops such as those at Elsecar.

http://www.elsecar-heritage-centre.co.uk/
http://www.kirkleeslightrailway.com/
http://www.thisispenistone.co.uk/

It was a wonderful day out and I have already mentioned to several friends about going on a day trip perhaps at a weekend nearer Christmas or in the school holidays; the train journey and visiting Penistone or indeed any of the places along the line would make for a fun day out for adults and children alike.
(For a kid-free day out, I'm thinking Meadowhall.......!)

No comments:

Post a Comment